Thursday, May 14, 2009

AARP

Did you know that when you approach 50 you get an invitation to join AARP? I'm intrigued by the discounts but saying I'm a member makes me sound so - OLD. But as a budget conscious consumer, how can I not join? Borders is having a special weekend for AARP members right now - 20% off when you flash your card. I am just getting used to the idea that I will be 50 and that it doesn't matter. Do I really want to show my AARP card to the handsome young man at the bookstore? Well, let me take that back. There are NO handsome young men working at the bookstore. The employees seem slightly unattractive, certainly off-beat. (And to think that I often consider a job at the bookstore.) I'm not particularly interested in AARP's political position, although, as a member, I suppose I should be. I listened to the former CEO interviewed on Diane Rehm and some of the callers were so adamant that they would not become members because of things AARP had done. Frankly, they had me at the discount. So, perhaps I can take pleasure in my secret card carrying status and only flaunt my membership when it truly matters - in the check-out line.

No comments: